Happy New Year!! Chances are that no one is probably reading this because y’all are either sleeping in late after partying all night or nursing a hangover, or you could very well be reading this because you are like us and fall asleep before 10pm!
It’s quite sad really. My husband and I haven’t been out on New Year’s Eve for years! And we’re not even the least bit concerned, but it bothers me a little bit because I’m really not that old!
So, here’s hoping all of you that went out, had a great time and brought in 2014 in style and with some great food!
Now that it is a New Year, how many made some resolutions? I used to many moons ago, but the fact I couldn’t stick to them led to so much disappointment that I stopped making them. I don’t make a list or anything, just in my head I decide to work on a couple of things. Like this year, one of my must dos is getting more organised where this blog is concerned!
As far as the whole eating better and exercising resolution, yeah right, like we’re ever going to get that one going! I already eat organic, non GMO, now gluten free, but maybe I could eat less of it!
How about you guys? Do you make resolutions? Do you stick to them? Or do you take baby steps like me?
So, knowing that we’re not making resolutions to give up all our food, here’s a great cake to ring in the New Year. Most holidays are celebrated with something sweet, so I wanted my first post to be something delicious and sweet (not a cleansing smoothie).
I have made this a few times and it is one from BBC Good Food magazine. I haven’t changed anything except to give you cup measurements, use different apples and I added vanilla. The first time I made it, everyone loved it and I just thought it was everyone being nice. The next few times I made it, everyone loved it then too. Since I am gluten free, I’ve only had nibbles. It is good, and I think it is because of how it’s made. This Apple and Blackberry Cake has a different texture. It’s a dense, almost pancake like cake.
- 12 tablespoons/175g unsalted butter
- 1¼ cups/285ml heavy cream
- 2 cups/300g all purpose/plain flour
- 2 large (800g/28oz) apples, I used organic Cameo
- lemon juice, a squeeze for the apples
- 1¼ cups/225g golden brown sugar/brown caster sugar, plus an extra tablespoon.
- 3 eggs, large organic
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 10 oz/300g blackberries, fresh organic
- Preheat oven to 350℉/180℃.
- Grease a 9" x 13"(23 cm x 33 cm) cake/roasting pan, with butter and flour or use spray and set aside.
- Peel, core and slice the apples into rings and then toss with a squeeze of lemon juice to keep from browning.
- Heat the cream and butter together in a pan till just boiling or can heat in the microwave and set aside, add the salt.
- Using a mixer, beat the eggs and sugar until pale and thick.
- Add the vanilla
- Whisk the butter-cream mixture into the egg-sugar mixture.
- Fold in the flour and mix until completely smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and arrange the apple slices over the top.
- Scatter over the blackberries and then sprinkle the extra tablespoon of sugar over the top.
- Bake 50-60 minutes until golden and the sides are beginning to pull away from the sides.
- Leave to cool and then cut into squares.
I wanted to thank everyone who reads, comments, shares and follows my blog. I have loved reading your comments and been humbled by your kind words of encouragement and support this past year. I look forward to strengthening my old friendships and discovering new ones. Thank you for a great year. Here’s to 2014, cheers!