Blueberry Flax Streusel Muffins
Serves: 18-20 ( I got 18 but I think I overfilled mine)
- 11/2 cups/220g all purpose/plain flour
- ½ cup/58g ground flax seed
- 2 teaspoon/9g baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup/177mL buttermilk*
- ½ cup/118mL oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup/220g granulated sugar
- 1 cup/170g blueberries
- ¾ cup/75g finely chopped pecans
- ¼ cup all purpose/plain flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven 400℉/200℃ and place rack in the bottom third of the oven.
- Prepare 2 standard muffin tins with paper cases (18-24)
- In a bowl of a mixer, or any large bowl, add the flour, ground flaxseed, baking powder and salt.
- Run the mixer with a paddle attachment and mix the dry ingredients thoroughly or use a whisk and do it by hand.
- Combine the eggs, buttermilk, sugar, oil and vanilla in a bowl and mix until thoroughly blended.
- Dust the blueberries with a tablespoon of flour.
- Make up the streusel: mix the streusel ingredients all together until crumbly and put aside.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix gently until just blended.
- Add the blueberries and fold in gently.
- Spoon into the paper case, only fill ⅔ of the way.
- Sprinkle a teaspoon or so of the streusel topping on each muffin.
- Place the tins on the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- The muffins should be golden brown and firm.
- Check with a toothpick in the centre to make sure the inside is set.
* You can make your own buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to ¾ cup of milk. Let stand for a few minutes, stir and use in your recipe.
Recipe by Coffee and Crumpets at http://www.coffeeandcrumpets.com/blueberry-flax-streusel-muffins/