Serves: 1 large dish or 8 ramekins
- 3½ tablespoons butter
- 4½ tablespoons flour
- 1½ cups/355ml milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- a pinch of nutmeg, ground
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup blanched and cooked spinach
- 2 tablespoons red onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 7 egg whites
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup Swiss cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheer, grated
- 1 8 cup soufflé mould or
- 8 1 cup ramekins
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C
- Start by buttering and sprinkling cheese on the moulds.
- Put aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan on medium heat
- Add the flour and mix until a thick paste forms.
- Drizzle in the milk and whisk out the lumps.
- Beat vigorously and add the seasonings.
- The sauce will be very thick.
- Add the egg yolks and mix until combined thoroughly.
- Cook the red onion sin the butter until softened.
- Add the cooked spinach and the salt and stir over moderately high heat to evaporate as much water as possible.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the spinach to the egg yolk/white sauce soufflé base.
- Put to the side while preparing the egg whites.
- Beat the egg whites and salt until stiff, using a hand or stand mixer.
- Stir in ¼ of the whipped egg whites into the spinach mixture to lighten it .
- Stir in all but 2 tablespoons of cheese.
- Fold in the rest of the egg whites, gently but thoroughly.
- Pour the batter into the prepared mould or divide amongst the 8 ramekins.
- Fill the ramekins pretty full, almost to the top.
- They will sink when cool.
- You may have some batter left over.
- This can be baked off in a small dish also.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese over the top.
- Place in the middle rack of the oven and lower the heat to 375F/190C.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes without opening the oven door.
- If you like the centre creamy, remove it at this point.
- If you prefer a well cooked soufflé, cook for another 5 minutes.
- If you are using ramekins, they will be ready at 30 minutes.
Recipe by Coffee and Crumpets at http://www.coffeeandcrumpets.com/spinach-souffle/