Cherry Cardamom Ice Cream
Recipe type: ice cream
Serves: about 1 qt.
- 2 cups/475ml heavy cream
- 1 cup/235ml milk
- 5 egg yolks
- ½ cup/100g sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 cups Colorado Bing cherries, pitted and halved
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a medium saucepan, add the cream, milk and sugar.
- Heat on medium heat until the sugar dissolves, add the cardamom.
- Have the egg yolks in a large bowl.
- Once sugar dissolves and the cream and milk are hot, slowly add in a stream to the egg yolks being careful not to cook the eggs.
- Pour the egg-milk mixture back into the saucepan and heat on low until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the custard from the heat and pour into a clean bowl through a strainer to catch any cooked bits of eggs and lumps.
- Allow to cool in a water bath or place in the fridge.
- In a small saucepan, add the cherries and the sugar with a tablespoon of water.
- Allow the cherries to soften and the juice to thicken and get syrupy, about 10-12 minutes.
- Cool in the fridge.
- Once both the custard and cherries have cooled, it's time to freeze.
- Place the custard in the bowl of the ice cream maker and turn on.
- Run for about 30 minutes until the ice cream begins to thicken.
- In the last 10 minutes, add drained cherries and only four or five tablespoons of the syrup if there's a lot.
- Once the ice cream has thickened, transfer to a air tight container and freeze the ice cream for at least 4 hours or over night.
- If you want to use popsicle moulds, pour into the moulds and freeze.
- I made ice cream and popsicles, 8 popsicles and 4 servings of ice cream.
- The custard probably makes about 16 popsicles or a quart of ice cream.
- To unfold the popsicles, let them soften outside for a bit and then pull out carefully.
- If you run hot water, be careful, it will melt the ice cream quite a bit and you'll lose a lot of the popsicle in a melted puddle!
- Leave at room temp for a bit and they should slide out.
Recipe by Coffee and Crumpets at http://www.coffeeandcrumpets.com/cherry-cardamom-ice-cream/