Squash Blossom Tart
Recipe type: tart
Serves: 1 Tart
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup/235ml half and half (light cream)
- 2 zucchini or summer squash, shredded
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon basil, chopped
- 2 teaspoons mint, chopped
- 4 oz/115g goat cheese or cheddar cheese, crumbles or shredded
- 7 or 8 squash blossoms, more if they are small.
- pastryfor 11" tart pan
- Preheat the oven to 425F/200C
- Wash and dry the squash blossoms.
- Sometimes critters like to hide inside so wash thoroughly!
- Dry gently on a towel, patting them dry carefully.
- Prepare the pastry for the tart pan.
- Roll out and line the pan.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and add the half and half or light cream.
- Add the garlic powder, paprika and salt, mix well.
- Add the shredded zucchini and mix.
- Add the herbs and mix.
- Hold back a couple of teaspoons of the cheese to sprinkle on top and add the rest to the egg-zucchini mixture.
- Mix well and pour into the tart pan.
- Nestle the squash blossoms into the tart pan.
- Sprinkle the reserved cheese over the blossoms, don't obscure the pretty petals too much.
- Place the tart pan on a sheet tray and place on the bottom rack of the oven.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until firm and golden brown.
You can use a good quality store bought pastry crust or I have included a pastry crust recipe for an 11" tart pan.
Recipe by Coffee and Crumpets at http://www.coffeeandcrumpets.com/squash-blossom-tart/